Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Company: Sourn California University of Health Sciences
Posted on: June 14, 2022
Southern California University of Health Sciences seeks a
Director of Financial Planning and Analysis Click here to view
position profile: Location: Whittier, CaliforniaThe Director of
Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for ensuring the
preparation and analysis, and maintenance of financial reports and
dissemination of reporting to appropriate campus constituents.
Responsibilities include partnering with functional business area
management and analysts in consolidating, modeling, and analyzing
financial related data to measure and report on the performance of
university business segments, especially return on investment
(ROI); supporting the program launch process (PLP) team in
evaluating new programs; using advanced modeling techniques
generating and maintaining overall financial forecast; working
closely with other members of the Accounting team to provide
accounting, budget management, reporting, and training to the
campus community; maintaining development, maintenance, and
reporting of the University's multi-year forecasting tools in
alignment with the strategic direction of the institution. This
position leads the annual planning and budgeting process in a fluid
and transparent manner, reporting ROI for new initiatives. NOTE:
This position has the option of being remote.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and/or prepare monthly financial reports reflecting
monthly and year-to-date financial activity, as well as projected
financial activity through yearend, and including drivers of
financial activity such as enrollment, patient visits, etc.,
ensures that reporting is compared to budget and grouped by
business segment and in total.
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation and monitoring of the
University's multi-year forecast model.
- Develop and maintain campus-wide communication and training
program to enable end-users to view, track and take ownership of
their respective areas of budget responsibility.
- Assist Deans, Directors, and other University leaders in
interpreting financial and budget reports, analyzing data, and
- Create dashboards, graphs, and other reporting tools to
communicate information to campus constituents.
- Maintain allocation methods to distribute shared costs to
- Create and maintain methods to allocate administrative overhead
costs to appropriate departments.
- Develop predictive models to analyze financial consequences of
policy or program changes to provide management with relevant
insight and policy options and supports strategic
- Refine modeling assumptions and employ methodologies that
result in improved projection accuracy and validity.
- Monitor enrollment and tuition earnings against projections and
provide variance reporting.
- Prepare analyses of labor costs and utilization.
- Analyze key business metrics and ratios, including Composite
Financial Index (CFI) and components, ED financial responsibility
composite score, as well as retention and graduation rates, and
other metrics as needed.
- Accurately analyze complex financial and accounting data and
effectively communicates it to a wide variety of executives,
faculty, and other constituents in lay terms.
- Ensure analysis and financial/budget reporting of budget vs.
actual reports as well as historical analyses for initiatives, cost
centers, and segments to assist in decision making and enhance
- Proactively identify and present opportunities to enhance
financial and business effectiveness.
- Actively seek new tools and ideas to help management better
understand and plan business.
- Play an active role in formulating budget policies, controls,
and work flow processes, and communicating same with the campus
- Serve as liaison with Human Resources for salary and benefits
budget matters including position control, data development,
analytics, and maintenance.
- Provide operating and capital budget assistance to the Campus
- Track extraordinary budget and cash flow needs and assist
senior management with the identification of sources and uses of
revenue and cash flows.
- Supervise and manage staff including staffing recommendations,
hiring, termination and discipline, setting performance standards
and evaluations, and staff development and training.
- Administer the Prophix software with support for the
- Actively support a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from four-year college or university, or
three to five years of related experience and/or training, or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office, with advanced
skillset in Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of database
applications is a plus. Experience with Prophix corporate
performance software is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common financial
reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries
or complaints from members of the campus community. Ability to
effectively present information to top management, public groups,
and/or boards of directors. COMPETENCIES:
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time;
ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at
meetings and appointments on time.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information;
collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to
complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and
information into images; uses feedback to modify designs;
demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely
manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops
alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving
- Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates
projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on
time and budget.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses;
pursues training and development opportunities; strives to
continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer
situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer
feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and
assistance; meets commitments.
- External Working Relationships - Develops and maintains
courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors
and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans;
communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes
resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change;
monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Business Acumen - Demonstrates knowledge of market and
competition; aligns work with strategic goals; analyzes market and
competition and adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and
implements cost-saving measures.
- Business Necessity - The needs of the employer may be dependent
on responding to and anticipating rapidly changing external and
internal demands in all aspects of how business is conducted. This
may include, but is not limited to, organization structure,
finances, goals, personnel, work processes, technology, and
customer demands. Therefore, it may become necessary to make
modifications to how business is conducted and work is
accomplished, with minimal or no advance notice to employees.
Accordingly, the employee must be capable of adapting, with minimal
or no advance notice, to changes in how business is conducted, and
work is accomplished, with no diminishment in work
- Safety and Security - All employees are responsible for
observing safety and security procedures as applicable and
reporting potentially unsafe conditions to management. ABOUT THE
INSTITUTION : Southern California University of Health Sciences
(SCU) is a regionally accredited, nonprofit institution
specializing in health care education. SCU is dedicated to its core
values of integrative health, evidence-based practice, health
equity, and inclusivity. The Southern California University of
Health Sciences (SCU) was founded in 1911 as the Los Angeles School
of Chiropractic. SCU has added multiple programs over the years and
is today a comprehensive health sciences university offering
certificate, baccalaureate, and graduate-level education to
students interested in pursuing a career in the health professions.
SCU has a history of providing the highest levels of patient care
and has gained a reputation for excellence in an evidence-informed
curriculum. The University holds institutional accreditation with
the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as
several programmatic accreditations. For more information: SCU's
mission is to educate students as , , and successful healthcare
practitioners. Faculty, staff, and students enjoy a collaborative
and engaged community that includes an active student association,
staff senate, and faculty senate. SCU has been educating
practitioners for over 100 years. The University is proud of the
SCU Health Center, a unique educational health and wellness
facility residing in the heart of Whittier, California. Skilled and
qualified students provide care under the close guidance of an
expert, licensed SCU Health System practitioners. The SCU Health
Center provides chiropractic, acupuncture, Ayurveda, and urgent
care services to address a variety of ailments and medical
conditions. Each patient, based on their needs and condition,
receives a customized plan that is right for their health and
lifestyle. The University is committed to providing excellence in
academics, service, scholarship, and leadership through its diverse
- Doctor of Chiropractic
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy (in development)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (in development)
- Doctor of Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine
- Master of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
- Master of Science in Human Genetics and Genomics
- Master of Science in Medical Science
- Master of Science: Physician Assistant Program
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Accelerated Science Courses
- Ayurveda Certificate Program
- Clinical Internship for Ayurveda Practitioners
- Sports Medicine Residency
- Veteran Affairs Residency provides a sustainable plan for the
success and growth of Southern California University of Health
Sciences. Why Consider the Opportunity:
- If you want to set a strategy, work with amazing senior-level
leaders, make a significant impact, enjoy every day, and work in an
environment void of traditional university politics - welcome!
- A university that is full of diverse, smart, passionate people
who are committed to challenging convention and embracing
- An incredible culture that drives everything they do.
- A welcoming team that embraces differences and has fun
- A chance to make a difference in a growing university with a
focus on developing whole-person health care degrees.
- The ability to work in an environment that is a combination of
work-from-home and on-campus. On-campus work will be dependent upon
need and planned activity and is estimated at 2-4 times a
- A competitive salary and fantastic benefits, and the ability to
make an impact. To Apply: Confidential review of applications will
begin immediately and are welcomed until the position is filled but
preference will be given to applications received by February 16,
2022. Please submit your resume and letter of interest. To apply
online go to For nominations or further information: Kristen Farha
Senior Consultant Direct: (316) 650-0069 Southern California
University of Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer.
Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Sourn California University of Health Sciences, Whittier , Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, Executive , Whittier, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!