RN Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist Full Time
Company: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital
Posted on: June 13, 2022
Recently obtained: The Joint Commission Advanced Disease
Specific Certification Inpatient Diabetes Care!
If you are interested please apply online and send your resume to
The Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) is a
skilled and experienced professional Registered Nurse (RN) who is a
content expert in diabetes care and education. The RN CDCES is
responsible to assist in developing , review and revise all
diabetes education material by incorporating the Association of
Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (ADCES) "Healthy 7"
fundamental teaching tools. In addition, combines Age and
Population specific awareness and the Watson Model of Care in
program development. The CDCES promotes self-management to achieve
individualized behavioral and treatment goals that reduce risk and
optimize health outcomes. The RN CDCES has the responsibility to
provide diabetes education to both the patient, their family and/or
caregivers and Martin Luther King Jr., Community Healthcare (MLKCH)
clinical staff. This role supports Martin Luther King Jr., Medical
Group (MLKMG) ambulatory clinics by providing and/or reviewing
current clinical diabetes educational material to ensure all
teaching material is congruent across the MLKCH service lines. The
RN CDCES will be a member of MLKCH Diabetes Care Committee and
takes an active role in reviewing hospital wide policy and
procedures relating to diabetes education and glycemic control. The
RN CDCES provides the Diabetes Care Committee with the most current
American Diabetes Association's clinical best practice guidelines
and Standards of Medical Care to ensure MLKCH remains updated on
diabetes care and education. It is expected that the employee will
demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The employee
shall support Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Healthcare's
strategic plan and the goals and direction of the quality and
performance improvement process activities. The inpatient RN CDCES
reports to the Director, Diabetes Care and Education
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides evidenced based, clinical best practice in diabetes
education to persons with diabetes and their family members or
- Keeps the Director, Diabetes Care and Education and Director of
Professional Practice and Education, informed of educational
activities, status of programs, and proposals for new and revised
- Participates as a member of interdisciplinary healthcare team
to facilitate the continuum of care and education of patients with
- Serves as a consultant/resource to the clinical areas, clinic
staff, and departments as it relates to diabetes education.
- Works with the Director, Diabetes Care and Education and
Nursing Leadership team for new clinical initiatives regarding
diabetes and education.
- Cultivates positive and collaborative relationships with
nursing, and clinical leadership team to ensure that educational
needs are being met in the most effective manner possible.
- Provides leadership through educational activities to bring
about changes in clinical practice regarding diabetes care and
- Evaluates diabetes education programs on a regular basis and
plans and implements improvements based on this evaluation and
feedback from key stakeholders
- Monitors and evaluates, as needed, resource utilization,
patient outcomes, patient's skills in self-care, and patient's
ability and readiness to learn.
- Ensures correct and timely documentation in the patient's
medical record following individual consultation.
- Counsels and educates individual patients appropriately on
diabetes care in conjunction with patient's medical provider
(diabetes medications, exercise, diet, sick days, etc.).
- Performs root cause analysis on hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
events to identify possible causes and when appropriate, make
recommendations to medical staff and/or pharmacy staff to consider
diabetes medication adjustments.
- Utilizes adult learning principles in program planning to
select the teaching strategy and method appropriate for the learner
and the content including e-learning.
- Develops and conducts group presentations and related
educational programs, and staff in-services, as needed.
- Working with Professional Education Department, (PED) the
Diabetes Education Team will develop and provide diabetes
symposiums to MLKCH and MLKMG staff, identifying topics, speakers,
objectives and evaluations, with assistance from PED for continuing
- When developing diabetes education for clinical staff, the
curriculum incorporates MLKCH clinical Polices and Procedures and
recommendations from Quality and Performance Improvement
- Uses, protects, and discloses MLKCH patients' protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Bachelor of Science degree in nursing required; Master's in
Nursing or Nursing related preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of clinical nursing experience and a
minimum two (2) years diabetes education experience with inpatient
and outpatient settings.
- Current California Nursing license.
- Certification of Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES)
- Candidates with CDCES exam eligible will be considered, and
will be required to pass exam within 90 days of start date
- Experience with implementation of an EMR preferred
C. Special Skills/Knowledge
- Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish)
- Basic computer skills
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Required
Keywords: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital, Whittier , RN Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist Full Time, Education / Teaching , Whittier, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!